Sunday, June 08, 2008

"Nine! Good Lord!" and other exclamations


630: The amount of miles we drove in two days
182: the number of steps we had to climb up at the New River Gorge outlook
>300: the number of Harley’s we saw traveling in huge hoards 9: the number of Mindy’s bridesmaids (“Nine! Good Lord!”)


This weekend was Mindy Fox and Chad Ashby’s wedding. Allison and I ventured up to Waynesburg, PA, to be at the event. Not thinking completely clearly, we headed up to PA after I got off of work on Friday and stayed the night with two other sorority sisters in a hotel. The wedding didn’t begin until 2:30 in the afternoon, so we had time to kill after we were kicked out of the hotel room. We thought we would explore Waynesburg a bit, and let me just take a minute to tell you about Waynesburg. Waynesburg is an interesting town that makes Radford, VA or Grove City look nice. Possibly because it was hot outside, but everything was dirty, dusty, and falling down, and I really did feel like I was in the 50’s. It had a definite western PA feel, but also this antiquated feel. The houses were pretty in their day, that is for sure, but their day had passed. However, despite the town (and I apologize to anyone who is actually from Waynesburg) the Foxes did a marvelous job of pulling together a very excellent wedding.



The reception was very nice. There were about 40 students from Grove City there, mostly ABT’s and Betas, and so it was really fun to catch up with people. The reception was at a historic inn in the foothills of PA, near Ohio Pile, and close to the place where the French and Indian war started. I hope to go there someday, because it was so pretty and still charming (http://www.summitinnresort.com/) and kind of reminds me of Lookout Mountain, TN. Anyway, there was, of course, that awkward lull time between the ceremony and reception that should always be avoided, but the dancing was fun and the dinner was excellent, (I caught the bouquet), and I’m really glad that Allison and I made the trip. We left the reception around 9:30 and began our five our trip back to Blacksburg, having some minor adventures on a very dark and twisty country back road to get to Morgantown. We only made on stop, at the 24 hour starbucks of course! And made it safely back home.
It’s strange to be at the weddings of friends—they are moving on to a different part of their lives and it’s hard not to feel slightly envious even though you are insanely happy for them. I’ve been feeling the last couple weeks this nagging in my heart that tells me that I’m not completely content, and that makes me unsettled. I wish that I was completely dependent and faithful in trusting in God’s will for me. Like Joseph in the bible who trusted God even though he was sold into slavery by his family, I wish that I could completely trust in him. This is what I am praying for this summer and focusing on, to focus on Christ my savior as my provider and shepherd who will provide everything that need. It’s always hard to be stretched and grow, but I’m definitely feeling that it’s going to happen this summer.

Two best quotes from the weekend:
"Happy Birthday Grandma!"
"My headlights are interfearing with my ability to see!"

No comments: