
I'm sorry for my lack of recent posts. I've had trouble finding the motivation to update them . . .until now!
There is Cardinals Nation, Red Sox Nation, and I discovered early into my summer hear that I live in Hokie Nation. What is a Hokie you might ask? Well, a hokie is a bird, and it is the maskot of Virginia Tech. It is what is posted in the picture on the left. You know how some cities have fiberglass cows or other types of animals that are painted by famous artists or have a theme? Well in Blacksburg there are 80 some Hokie birds spread throughout time. I have really just discovered a fraction of them (there are 4-5 alone at my gym-- my favorite is the Hokie that has a landscape painted on it). Here, to the left, is van Gogh Hokie. Crazy, right? Not to them. What is more, I have noticed more maroon and orange here (the colors of VT) than anywhere else--- especially pick up trucks. I have never seen so many pick up trucks that are maroon. Tonight during a run i saw at least five! It really is crazy. I've never experienced a big state school experience. My oldest sister went to a state school in Mississippi, but I barely remember what it was like to visit her except the old bookstore had really good ice cream (funny what sticks with you, right?) Well, my experience in Hokie country is just that . . . an experience that is different from anything i've experienced. I'm probably the only car in Blacksburg that doesn't have any type of hokie paraphanalia on it.
This morning i treated myself to sleeping in, and therefore went for a running tonight after it cooled off. I really enjoyed exploring a new run, but i was so disappointed that i couldn't run without stopping. I've recently re-established my efforts for weight loss, along with my parents, and so running and excercise which has always been so important to me is even more important now. I wondered why i gave up so easily running up this one hill tonight. It made me wonder if I always just do things half-way, even though i have the best of intentions to follow through 100% but do everything at about 90%. Well, I'm not sure, but it's just an observation.
Well, my trip home last weekend went really well and I had a lot of fun just chilling with my family. We really surprised Mom with a family birthday party- she had no idea! Being home made me realize how much i love St. Louis- it is the place where i have the most community, at least not during the school year.
Tomorrow I'm driving to Northern, VA to go to Nicole's wedding-- Should be a grand old time. And with that, I'm going to go eat a peach :)
No comments:
Post a Comment